- Important: All passwords were reset on 06/15/11. Old passwords will no longer work. Click here to retrieve your password.
- Subscribe to Our Free Dewsletter
We are non-commercial, all volunteer and supported by our readers. Please help sustain the Dew by making a donation.
Big Fat Juicy Ones
Think I’ll go eat worms
Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
I think I’ll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones,
Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
See how they wiggle and squirm!
That nursery rhyme is about as good as any to explain how the Sequester, with which we are now wrestling, came about. The Congressional leadership had a hissy fit and the Sequester is the result.
Since there seems to be some confusion about what the word even means, let me suggest it’s just a fancy word for an age-old habit, one that the Congress has been indulging right along. To “sequester” means to hide, as in hiding one’s talents under a bushel basket or, in another version of the parable, burying them in the ground. (You’ll recall that Jesus decried that particular habit and berated the man who failed to invest and make his talents produce more – Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-28)
It seems that servants never change. Nor does the remedy. Unjust servants have to be dismissed. It is our misfortune that their masters did not see fit to dismiss the lot of the incompetents this past November. Perhaps because they did not realize where the problem lies. After all, the Congress and the media have consistently conspired to perpetrate the myth that the POTUS is in charge of the public purse.
Indeed, the drumbeat goes on — as has been quite successfully assembled in one video compilation. The title alone is worth dissecting.
Amazing – Obama Caught in Bald-Faced Lie on White House Sequester
- Amazing = a lie, because lies are such a constant that they no longer can amaze
- Obama Caught = a lie, because the POTUS was neither running nor hiding when he asserted that the idea to sequester public funds did not originate with him (though it may have been brought into discussions by the staff, as the press secretary admits)
- Bald-Faced = the truth, because the POTUS, unlike his hero Lincoln, is clearly clean-shaven
- Lie = false, because the Congress has been employing sequestration for a long time. As Steny Hoyer points out, it’s a Republican policy.
The sequester now in play is actually an updated version of the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act of 1985. There also was a small sequester in 1986, and a big one planned for 1990.
- White House= a half-truth and a “false attribution of agency.” Regardless the color, houses don’t act and failing to identify responsibile individuals is disengenuous and/or lazy. Republicans like worms; Obama’s staff offered them some.
- Sequester = a euphemism, a word used to make something unpleasant sound nice. In this case, what’s being disguised is that rationing the currency is a favorite strategy for trying to manipulate the economy, by people who routinely proclaim that the “free market” is automatic. Since everybody knows that rationing leads to hoarding, that word can’t be used. Neither can “cut,” because that’s a word that is now reserved to partner with “tax.” (One is tempted to speculate that, since he’s already clean-shaven, Obama might even qualify for perfect, if he went for the tax cuts).
The Republican obsession with tax cuts obviously has deep roots. Maybe there is some association with the barbershop and getting rewarded for sitting still and not squirming. If so, then associating reducing tax cuts with rich people is probably a really bad idea. It’s threatening to penalize the short hairs for having been good.
Besides, since Washington is where all the dollars come from, why they need to be collected and sent back requires a bit more explanation than that the people, who got them, aren’t deserving. After all, Jesus didn’t order the collection of what was left over from the feast of loaves and fishes, because he wanted to deprive the still hungry. No, the left-overs were to be collected, so they wouldn’t go to waste. And that, I’d argue, is precisely the same reason why dollars, that aren’t being used, should be collected and sent back to Washington to be recycled. We don’t collect taxes to penalize; we collect them to keep the currency moving. If you want evidence that the dollar is stuck, just look at this graph:
The dollar is now circulating or flowing through the economy more slowly than since they started keeping track in the nineteen fifties. Why? I’d say because everybody’s hoarding, following Congress’ example. They’re burying their talents instead of investing. They’re not giving to Caesar (us) what is Caesar’s. How to explain it? “They know not what they do.”
So, let’s all blame the President. Besides, there’s that irresistible gilt by association. (Gild = Cover thinly with gold. Give a specious or false brilliance to.)
- Featured image: courtesy of Uncle Jim's Worm Farm.
Worthy of Comment
Also on the Dew
Like the proverbial schoolboy with his nose pressed up against the glass of the candy display, I can’t seem to get enough of the various on-line and free classes offered over the edX educational program conceived of by a couple of Harvard professors just a few years ago. This fall I’ve perhaps bitten off more than a full plate by registering for six different classes. They range from the Greek epics to Chinese history to current events in the Middle East. I’m also reading Dante as well as five Shakespearean plays. Makes for a busy day, week, next several months. But today Read on →
(This piece is a timely expansion on entry # 3 in this Press the Battle series: " Calling Out the Republicans: Obama Hasn't So We Must..") Summary: It is clear the Republicans, with their obstructionism, have deliberately hurt the nation. That betrayal explains why the American political system is now more dysfunctional than in generations, maybe ever. The American people are quite dissatisfied with the performance of their government, but they need help understanding where the problem lies. I ask President Obama: Why are you not using this last opportunity to tell the voters what's gone wrong, so they can use Read on →
Summary: We in Liberal America are now embattled. America has been in kindred battles before, and on those occasions to which we look to see our finest American ideals expressed and embodied, great American leaders have shown the way: "See the evil. Call it out. Press the battle." But in this crisis, in this battle, Liberal America is falling far short of our nation's finest ideals. Why is that? The American electorate is probably about to give more power to a party of traitors. This statement, though shocking, can be verified by these steps (many of which are substantiated here): The Republican Party ("the Read on →
As a boy I read the Weekly Reader, Outdoor Life, Superman comic books, and the Hardy Boys Adventures. Books were not overly abundant and I read whatever I could. Back then the only library in the world was my elementary school’s one-room collection of books organized by the Dewey Decimal System. Remember it? The 200s covered Religion, the 600s Technology, and the 800s covered Literature. We had to memorize all ten classes, and walk on command to a given class where it sat on the shelves. Today we click a mouse and voila! We are transported to anything we want t Read on →