Occupy Atlanta, General Assembly Draft Demands
The General Assembly passed out their draft of demands and read their preamble: We hold this truth to be self-evident that the 99% deserve equal rights, equal protections, equal access and equal opportunity as the 1% who benefit disproportionately from the current system. We therefore freely assemble to assert our rights and demands:
- We demand greater democratic control in all spheres of life, from the home to the government, from the economy to the workplace. It is a moral, logical and political imperative that people should be in control of their own lives to the greatest extent possible.
- We deserve an economic system that meets human needs, reduces economic inequality, shrinks the income gap, and doesn’t reward decisions that have a negative impact on society.
- We recognize that the market will not regulate itself. What is good for profit is not always good for people or the environment.
- We assert the right of every human being to adequate shelter, food, clothing, hygiene and other basic necessities.
- We assert the right of every individual to adequate protection from the economic uncertainties of old age, accident, unemployment and other hardship.
- We denounce all predatory lending and fraudulent banking practices and demand accountability.
- We recognize that no society should allocate more resources to warfare than to the public good.
- We demand a more democratic, publicly representative and accountable media.
- We insist that the internet is a basic human right and as such should remain absolutely free and neutral.
- We assert our right to public spaces and our right to freely inhabit them because they are essential to democracy and our right to assemble.
- We denounce a criminal justice and for-profit prison system that relies on mass incarceration, especially when it reinforces the marginalization and disenfranchisement of people.